Child and Youth Volunteer
Women’s Crisis Services of Waterloo Region is currently seeking Child and Youth Volunteers for Haven House in Cambridge. The purpose of this position is positively engage and support children who are receiving services from Women’s Crisis Services of Waterloo Region and provide support to the Child and Youth Worker and Child and Family Therapist.
Key Responsibilities, Tasks and Duties
- To positively engage children in the playroom and at times lead activities such as games, crafts, free play time, and homework.
- To assist the C&Y worker and children during Support Group.
- To actively listen and engage in positive conversations with children in an effort to gain their trust, build self-esteem and self-awareness.
- To role model kindness, respect and responsibility.
- To lead children in their efforts to clean up the playroom.
- Assist C&Y staff in preparation for play group and/or support group, and in tidying up
- On occasion, to accompany and assist C&Y Staff on outings in the community with children.
- To assist in maintaining a safe environment for children.
- To positively engage and care for children whose mothers are participating in group(s) such as Understanding Me.
Skills and Qualifications
- A genuine interest and caring for children
- An ability to effectively engage and support children during various activities
- To have skills in leading crafts or games for children
- Knowledge in the area of child development and demonstrated previous experience with children
- The emotional stamina and high energy needed to effectively engage children.
- An understanding of the impact of domestic violence on children
- An understanding of the duty to report to Family and Children’s Services and a willingness and ability to follow through on this duty as needed
Child and Youth Program
Tuesday evenings from 6:00 to 8:00 pm ongoing
Weekly at Haven House for our TLC Program :
Wednesday mornings commencing September 18th, 2019 for 10 weeks
Please Note: These days and times of volunteering could change subject to our service delivery needs
- WHMIS, AODA, Violence in the Workplace, Health and Safety, VAW Standards
- Anti-oppressive practise training
- Active listening skills training
- General Agency Overview
18+ (some exceptions may apply)
In accordance with the Dress Code policy of WCSWR
Other Requirements of the Position
- Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check
- Reliable Transportation
- First Aid/CPR Certificate