Outreach is a free, confidential service for abused women who are leaving the shelter and are transitioning to independence, or who are still in abusive situations and need assistance. We serve women from all cities and townships in Waterloo Region. We often meet with these women in the community or their homes.
Our Outreach Services offer:
- safety planning
- assistance/advocacy with housing providers and/or Ontario Works
- support around the legal process including assistance in connecting with a lawyer and/or legal aid
- completion of 2 hour free legal aid forms
- referrals to lawyers
- referrals and advocacy to other community agencies as needed
- interpreters can be arranged
- 1 on 1 meetings
- employment search support
- education about violence against women
Family Violence Project
Our agency continues to be an onsite partner in the Family Violence Project located at Carizon Family & Community Services. Through our agreement with the domestic violence unit of Waterloo Regional Police Services, safety planning is offered to women by one of our Outreach workers whenever a criminal charge related to domestic violence is laid.
The “Safe Steps” program otherwise known as “Child Witness” runs three times a year and offers concurrent 10 week groups for moms and their children ages 5-16. The focus of the groups is on the impact of domestic violence on children. Topics include: self-esteem, healthy boundaries, safety planning, and feelings.
Participants are provided with meals, transportation and childcare.
Partnership with Family & Children Services
We have a unique partnership with Family and Children’s Services (F&CS). Our Clinical Support Worker (CSW) provides assessment and short-term clinical intervention to F&CS clients when the primary reason for involvement is domestic violence. The ultimate goal is to realize a reduction in repeat domestic violence referrals to F&CS and to reduce the number of children who are placed in foster care as a result of domestic violence. This initiative is funded in part through the Ministry of Children and Youth Services (MCYS).
Clinical Support Worker Services
- CSW provides therapy for clients who are involved with F&CS for domestic violence related issues
- CSW coordinates the Safe Steps and facilitates the Mom’s group
- CSW also provides therapy at both shelters for residents until long term therapy becomes available
Our staff share information about violence against women in several ways:
- attend and meet with women at area neighbourhood centres
- present at area schools on healthy relationships
- educate community partners and emerging professionals, such as nursing students and salon and spa workers
Our objective is prevention, early intervention and public awareness of domestic violence in our region.